China has a famous auto show in the form of Auto China which is alternatively held in Shanghai and Beijing every year. Most important factor is that many American, European and other worldwide brands make successful premieres at this Auto Show the same way as shows in cities like Geneva, Paris etc.
In similar fashion many cars have been planned for launch at the show this year in spite of the fact that timings have overlapped with the New York Motor Show. Few of the cars that are scheduled to be launched this year are :
- The Audi Q3 baby SUV, this car is an answer to BMWX1. This crossover model is based on the VW Tiguan platform and production is scheduled to begin at Spain sometime during this year.
- The BMW 6-Series Coupe will be premiered. The 5-Series plug in Hybrid built exclusively for the Chinese market will also be premiered. Reports claim that the BMW Company has also planned to launch the M5 concept in China.
- The Mercedes Company’s future A-Class is also going to be launched at the Shanghai Motor Show this year with a pre production design.
- The Citroen DS9 is also rumored to be launched. This means that the Metropolis design study will come close to realization.
- Apart from these foreign brands there are quite a few of the Chinese brands launching their cars at the motor show this year.
Estimates say that the Auto China expo will cover 205,000 square meters and will be the grandest one ever to be held at Shanghai. Officials approximate that the motor show will see around 60 world premiers.